Current:Home > MyFastexy Exchange|Two 18-year-olds charged with murder of former ‘General Hospital’ actor Johnny Wactor -NextFrontier Capital
Fastexy Exchange|Two 18-year-olds charged with murder of former ‘General Hospital’ actor Johnny Wactor
Robert Brown View
Date:2025-04-04 23:01:09
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Two 18-year-old men have Fastexy Exchangebeen charged with murder in the killing of former “General Hospital” actor Johnny Wactor.
Robert Barceleau and Sergio Estrada were each charged Monday in Los Angeles County Superior Court, District Attorney George Gasón said at a news conference.
“The loss of this talented young actor, who was in the prime of his life and had so much to offer the world, is deeply felt by all of us,” Gascón said.
The men and two co-defendants, all of whom were arrested Thursday, were set to be arraigned on Monday afternoon. It is not clear whether any have yet retained lawyers. An email to the county public defender’s office seeking comment on the case was not immediately answered.
Wactor was shot and killed when he interrupted three thieves stealing the catalytic converter from his car on May 25. Police said the 37-year-old had left work at a downtown LA rooftop bar with a coworker when he saw three men who had hoisted his car. Police said one of them fired at him without provocation and killed him.
Barceleau and Estrada were also both charged with grand theft and attempted robbery.
Barceleau’s charges include special circumstances, including murder during an attempted robbery and personal use of a firearm, that after a conviction could lead to a life sentence without possibility of parole. Estrada’s charges have a maximum sentence of life in prison.
A third man who authorities allege were with them, Leonel Gutierrez, was charged with grand theft and attempted robbery. A fourth, Frank Olano, was charged with being an accessory after the fact.
Wactor’s death has become a rallying point for some in the city pushing for a more hardline approach to fighting crime.
A group consisting of family and friends calling itself “Justice for Johnny” held a rally last week calling for more urgency in the investigation, and another Monday morning calling for aggressive prosecution.
Police and public officials said that is exactly what is happening.
LAPD Interim Chief Dominic Choi said at Monday’s news conference that the investigation has been an “ongoing and relentless pursuit” in a “very difficult case.”
Mayor Karen Bass said in a statement that “We must continue to take aggressive action to make our city safer.”
Barceleau was being held without bail, and Estrada on just over $1 million bail.
veryGood! (6)
Related
- Who are the most valuable sports franchises? Forbes releases new list of top 50 teams
- Longtime Missouri basketball coach Norm Stewart entered into the Hall of Famous Missourians
- Rare white killer whale nicknamed Frosty spotted off California coast
- Man says his emotional support alligator, known for its big social media audience, has gone missing
- The Louvre will be renovated and the 'Mona Lisa' will have her own room
- Asian American Literature Festival that was canceled by the Smithsonian in 2023 to be revived
- A fiery crash involving tanker carrying gas closes I-95 in Connecticut in both directions
- Arkansas lawmakers approve new restrictions on cryptocurrency mines after backlash over ’23 law
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- Georgia governor signs law requiring jailers to check immigration status of prisoners
Ranking
- 2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
- Dan Schneider sues 'Quiet on Set' producers for defamation, calls docuseries 'a hit job'
- NFL power rankings: Which teams are up, down after 2024 draft?
- What is May's birthstone? A guide to the colorful gem and its symbolism
- Stamford Road collision sends motorcyclist flying; driver arrested
- United Methodists overwhelmingly vote to repeal longstanding ban on LGBTQ clergy
- Alex Hall Speaks Out on Cheating Allegations After Tyler Stanaland and Brittany Snow Divorce
- Senators want limits on the government’s use of facial recognition technology for airport screening
Recommendation
US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
Do Alec Baldwin and Hilaria Baldwin Want Baby No. 8? He Says...
Too early to call 'Million Dollar Baby' the song of the summer? Tommy Richman fans say 'no'
Celtics beating depleted Heat is nothing to celebrate. This team has a lot more to accomplish.
Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
Say hello (again) to EA Sports College Football. The beloved video-game behemoth is back
Ex-Nickelodeon producer Schneider sues ‘Quiet on Set’ makers for defamation, sex abuse implications
UnitedHealth data breach caused by lack of multifactor authentication, CEO says